Cassandra Schiffler celebrates Surel Mitchell

Ode To Surel

Statement by Cassandra

I first met Surel Mitchell when I was an art student at the College of Idaho, and I helped her hang her paintings in the college’s art gallery. It was for a show of work by a small group of artists called Project Locqa. I remember that Surel had these stunning, large scale, abstract, colorful paintings. I was then (and am still now) an abstract painter, and her work really spoke to me. I felt so very inspired by her energy and her work. And, … she made me think that maybe I too could make it as an abstract painter.

I later got to know her through the arts community in Boise, and eventually I worked with Surel for a few months, trying to help her organize, date, and document some of her image files and slides. Surel was a joy to be around, she filled her home and her surroundings with such a positive energy and creativity. We enjoyed sharp cheese and hot tea, and great conversations in that place. When she recently passed away in 2011, I know the loss was felt in many hearts. Her home has since been converted into a non-profit Artist Residency Program, which will be one of her lasting legacies and a great asset to the Boise community.

For this edition of commemorative prints I repurposed one of Surel’s common motifs, patterned circles, and made them my own. It is my personal ode to Surel, and I believe she would have been pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment